The goal of this course is to present a somewhat flexible method for interpreting the Word of God. As such, this module should be especially useful for preachers, catechists, religious educators, those involved in the RCIA, and small bible study groups. The course is divided into two units. The first unit is introductory and consists of an exploration, first of all, of human communication and second, an examination of the preaching of Jesus as a model for contemporary interpreters of the Word. Additionally, two theories of communication are offered. The second unit presents a method for exegesis and interpretation of the scriptures. The unit will begin with some general principles and then proceed to some examples which model the method presented.
- Unit 1 content
- Fulfilled in Your Hearing
- Unit 2 content
- Pondering exercise via Chat
- Ordering exercise via Discussion Board
- Write a homily/reflection on one text. Use working groups for each text.
- Four weeks in duration, with one week for orientation.
- Typically 15-20 students in each course.
- Lectures delivered via an online presentation with audio narration.
- Supplemental readings are provided to encourage further exploration of topic.
- Creation of one short homily or catechetical reflection based upon a selected Scripture passage.
- Weekly moderated chat sessions with students in course.
- All course material available online in the course.
- Weekly reading or viewing of lecture texts.
- Participation in class discussion using discussion area (minimum 2 comments, questions or responses weekly.)
- Written assignments: short homily or catechetical reflection along with supporting work following the preparation method presented.
- Attendance at two of the scheduled chat sessions.
- Course evaluation.
3 to 5 hours a week (time varies from student to student depending on your learning style and schedule.)
A Certificate of Completion awarding 20 Contact Hours will be sent upon completion of all course requirements.